Saturday, April 21, 2012, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
VENUE: Park Grounds
Celebrating 100 Years of the Arts!
Open House / Open Studios & Student Arts Festival
Montalvo throws open its doors far and wide to the entire community for the official Centennial kick-off celebration event! Join us for an afternoon of the arts, including student works and performances, music, arts activities throughout the grounds, open residency studios, plus a gathering of some of the Bay Area's best gourmet food trucks. It's a day you and your family won't want to miss!
Schedule of the Day (subject to change):
- 11am: Arts Splash! begins
- 11:30am-3:30pm: Art Workshops throughout the grounds; Art-making tables on the Veranda & Great Lawn
- Noon-1pm: Welcome from Executive Director Angela McConnell on the Front Veranda, with student performances and a proclamation from the Mayor of Saratoga
- 1:45-4pm: Student performances in the Lilian Fontaine Garden Theatre (See list below)
- 2:30pm: Park Ranger-led trail hike
- 3:30pm: Senator Phelan Birthday Celebration in the Villa with cake from Whole Foods Market, Los Gatos
- Time TBD: Instrument demonstration by Early Music Rediscovered in the Phelan Library
- All Day: Open Studios at the Lucas Artists Residency Program (See schedule below)
- All Day: 10 gourmet Food Trucks on the Great Lawn and west of the Villa; Beer & Wine available at various locations
- All Day: Face painting ($1) and African Printmaking ($3) on the Great Lawn; printmaking is FREE with Arts Splash t-shirt purchase!
- All Day: Spring Plant Sale in the Solarium
- All Day: Sign Senator Phelan's GIANT birthday card on the Front Veranda
- All Day: Self-guided tours of the historic Villa (Docents will be posted in the Villa to answer questions)
- All Day: Photo Contest (See instructions below)
- 4:30pm: Last shuttle to West Valley!
Open Studios & Lucas Artists Residency Events:
- 11am-4pm: Literary fellow Andrew Pham in the LAP Commons discussing the book he is working on.
- 11:30am, 12:30pm, 1:30pm, 2:30pm, 3:30pm: "Slug in Progress" reading in the Residency Garden. Culinary Fellow Niki Ford will bring characters to life from an in-progress children's book about the soil nutrient cycle.
- 11am-4pm: Geo Homsy will activate Organograph in the Grove of Generosity, located across from the Residency. Organograph was the winner of theSan Jose Climate Clock Initiative. Read a great article from Metro about Organograph here, and visit organograph-sj.org for more details and interactive online features of the project.
- 1pm: Sound artist Kianga Ford will discuss her work, which will be featured in our 2012 Sculpture on the Grounds.
- 2pm: Haleh Abghari, Laurie San Martin, Dana Harel, Iris Charabi-Berggren, and Merry Conway present an overview of their project and short performance of Conference of the Birds Unfeathered.
- 3pm: Visual Fellows Robin Lasser and Adrienne Pao present The Edible Dress Tent, which will be featured in our 2012 Sculpture on the Grounds.
- All day: Residency studios will be open for visitors to come in, meet the artists, and discuss their work.
Food Trucks & Carts:
- Sam's ChowderMobile (seafood/fish & chips) @chowdermobile
- Little Green Cyclo (organic Vietnamese) @lilgreencyclo
- Tikka Bytes (Indian) @tikkabytestruck
- MoGo BBQ (Korean-Mexican) @MogoBBQ
- No Way Jose (Mexican) @nowayjosesj
- Louisiana Territory (Cajun) @latcajuncookin
- Whisk on Wheels (burgers, empanadas, sandwiches, fries) @sfwhisk
- Scoops (ice cream) @ScoopsSJ
- Puff Truck (cream puffs) @PacificPuffs
- Quick Dog (hot dogs)
- Student groups from the Community School of Music and Arts
- Destiny Arts Youth Performance Company (Oakland, CA)
- San Jose High School Mariachi Ensemble
- Students from Schools of Arts & Culture and the Mexican Heritage Plaza
- Student groups organized by Janetta Coleman
- DJ Jeff (throughout the day on the Front Veranda)
"Find the Phelans" Treasure Hunt:
Find photos of Senator Phelan hidden around the grounds* and collect them to win tickets for free face painting or free African textile print workshop. Bring the pictures you collect to the ticket table on the Front Lawn to claim your prize!
- 5 pictures of Phelan = free face painting
- 10 pictures of Phelan = 1 free textile print
- Collect 15 images to get both!
*The pictures are hidden around the Front Lawn, Villa, Spanish Courtyard, Oval Garden, West Lawn, Garden Theatre, and Pavilion (NO pictures are hidden in the trails).
Discounts at the Box Office Throughout the Day:
- No service fees on ticket purchases
- $15 off all tickets to "Twelfth Night" by Shakespeare Santa Cruz at Montalvo Sept 8-16
Send us your best photos from the day, and you could receive free tickets to either Starry, Starry Night on Friday, August 10, or to any of the Shakespeare Santa Cruz performances of Twelfth Night at Montalvo September 7-16. To submit, post your pictures to our Facebook or Google+ pages, tweet them to us @montalvoarts using #ArtsSplash, or send them by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll select some of our favorite snapshots and share them with our followers! Click here for Contest Terms & Conditions.
Arts Splash! T-shirts: $7 pre-order; $10 at the event.
• Free shuttle service available from West Valley College, Lot 1. Click here for more info about parking at West Valley.