Friday, October 18, 2013, 6 p.m.
RELATED EXHIBITION: Mountains in My Spoon: Artists and Food at the Lucas Artists Residency
Come celebrate the important role of food in our lives with the opening of Montalvo’s latest exhibition in the Project Space Gallery, Mountains in My Spoon: Artists and Food at the Lucas Artist Residency!
From 6:00 to 7:30 pm, join us for lively literary readings on the subject of food and a panel conversation about eating local, thinking global, and the future of food and wine writing. Delicious culinary morsels prepared by local artisan food makers will be available to sample and purchase.
Moderated by Lisa Catherine Harper (co-editor, The Cassoulet Saved Our Marriage), the panel of speakers will include:
- Andrew Pham, award-winning author and founder of spoonwiz.com
- Paul Reidinger, former restaurant critic for SF Bay Guardian
- Greg Dicum, author, The Pisco Book
- Paul Einbund, Beverage Director, Frances restaurant
- Kathryn Kefauver, founder, Oh Veg at LocalEats.com
- Amber Turpin, food writer, artisan baker and contributor to CivilEats.com
- Nicki Richesin, freelance writer (Sunset, 7×7, DuJour) and editor of 4 anthologies, including Crush
- Lisa McNamara, Los Angeles based food writer and contributor to Leites.com
From 7:30 to 9:00pm celebrate the opening of Mountains in My Spoon with the participating artists in the Project Space Gallery. Featuring photography, video, installation and social sculpture, Mountains in my Spoon celebrates Lucas Artists Program Fellow’s exploration of food ─ the experience of eating together, the work of those who nourish us, the role of food in fostering wellbeing, and the complex political relationship we have with what we eat. Participating artist Sita Bhaumik will serve chai tea and ice cream will be available for purchase.
This event is presented in association with Around the Table: food, creativity, community, a South Bay festival of food and the arts extending from July 2013 through April 2014. Featuring a flagship exhibition at the San Jose Museum of Art and accompanying festival of activities presented by thirty partnering organizations, Around the Table celebrates and explores the role that food plays in our lives. Mountains in my Spoon is also presented as part of Flourish: Artists Explore Wellbeing, Montalvo’s latest multiyear programming theme, organized by the Lucas Artists Residency Program.