If you only had five hours to present a work of sculpture in a public park, what would you create?
Come see how 35 multidisciplinary artists from the Bay Area and beyond have answered that question tomorrow (Friday, July 22, from 5-10pm) at our spectacular 2016 Rock the Garden festival: 5 Hour Sculpture!
The evening will feature large-scale installations where YOU help create the artwork; fascinating performances "popping up" all over our historic property; and spectacular intrusions that push the limits of contemporary sculpture. Take a look at our Facebook event page, where Montalvo Curator Donna Conwell has been sharing images of works in progress from some of the participating artists. And if you haven't already, join the event and invite your friends!
Throughout the festival, you'll enjoy hands-on art-making, dancing, live music, gourmet food trucks, and more. This all-ages festival is free to attend, with free parking and shuttle service from West Valley College, lot 5.
Event highlights include:
- A 20-foot tall pop-up sculpture by artist Jason Lazarus
- A field of poppy pinwheels by artist Karrie Hovey
- Sharing tall tales around a virtual campfire with artists Peter Foucault and Chris Treggiari
- A dance enactment of the Fibonacci sequence with the Natasha Carlitz Dance Ensemble
- A large-scale labyrinth by artist Paz de la Calzada
- An animal-led political parade with artist Sasha Petrenko
- Creating a rock sculpture based on the French lawn game pétanque with artist Mary Ijichi
- Multidisciplinary student art produced at Montalvos summer camps and an academic year collaboration with Synapse and Connect schools.
- AND MUCH MORE!
You can find more information about the artists and the evening's attractions on our Open Access Blog. We hope to see you tomorrow nightyou won't want to miss it!
July 21, 2016
Montalvo is a member-supported
dedicated to the arts.
performing July 31
Gladys Knight has been dubbed "the Empress of Soul" and has seven Grammy Awards to prove it. Dont miss her as she performs live in Montalvos beautiful outdoor Lilian Fontaine Garden Theatre on Sunday, July 31, at 8pm!
At just 17 years old, she earned her first hit single (Every Beat Of My Heart) with R&B family act, Gladys Knight & The Pips, of which she was the lead vocalist for thirty award-winning years. When the band retired in 1989, Knight went on to forge a successful solo career, securing an additional four Grammy awards and releasing a #1 R&B charting solo album entitled Good Woman.
Listen to Knight's soulful stylings in Midnight Train to Georgia through the video below, then buy your tickets today!