Pop-up festival July 22 redefines "Sculpture"
On Friday, July 22, from 5-10pm, you're invited to engage with 35 international artists as they push the limits of public practice and visual art at our spectacular 5 Hour Sculpture: A Pop-Up Arts Festival.
Featuring 11 different temporary installations, participatory happenings, engaging performances, and spectacular intrusions, this festival will also offer hands-on art-making activities, dancing, live music, dining at gourmet food trucks, and more! Highlights will include:
- A field of poppy pinwheels by Karrie Hovey
- Raising a 30-foot pop-up sculpture designed and built by festival-goers with Jason Lazarus
- Sharing stories, ideas, and tall tales around a virtual campfire with Peter Foucault and Chris Treggiari
- A dance enactment of the Fibonacci sequence with Natasha Carlitz
- A large-scale labyrinth created by Paz de la Calzada
- Margaret Kemp in a performance work exploring politics, place, identity, and African American myths
- Sound installations with opera singer Zoltan DiBartolo and singer-songwriter Terese Taylor
- Making art in nature with the Art Escapists
- A barn-raising-like activity with Matthias Neumann
- An animal-led political parade by Sasha Petrenko
- A participatory rock sculpture based on the French lawn game of pétanque with Mary Ijichi
- A ceremonial act of imagination envisioning a communion between humankind and nature with Maximo Gonzalez
Fun for all ages, 5 Hour Sculpture is free, with free parking and shuttle service available from West Valley College. Limited on-site parking is $10.
Click below to RSVP on Facebook, and be sure to invite your friends by selecting "Invite" on the upper-right side of the event page. Nobody is going to want to miss this unforgettable evening!
June 16, 2016
Montalvo is a member-supported
dedicated to the arts.
One of the awesome benefits of Montalvo membership is that you receive invites to our exclusive ArtVenturestrips to local, national, and international art destinations that include behind-the-scenes gallery tours, access to private collections, and the opportunity to meet and mingle with influencers in the art world.
One ArtVenture coming up this November is a 3-day trip to the small town of Marfa, Texas. Marfas internationally renowned artworks are inextricably linked with the breathtaking local landscape. Read more about this unexpected destination and its amazing arts community in InStyle Magazine.
Other upcoming trips include private, in-home tours of the Deedee & Burt McMurtry collection and the Susan & Joel Hyatt collection. All of these ArtVentures are offered by invitation only, and the highest level donors get the most exclusive opportunities!
Sound intriguing? Give our Development team a call at 408-961-5849 to find out how you can become a member and reserve a spot on this and other future ArtVentures.
For a list of all of the donor trips on our calendar, click here.