Montalvo Arts Center’s mission is to engage people in the creative process, acting as a catalyst for exploring the arts, unleashing creativity, and advancing different cultural and cross-cultural perspectives. We achieve our mission by creating and presenting arts of all types, nurturing artists, and using our 175-acre historic property in innovative ways.
People in Silicon Valley from all walks of life – from leaders to those at the margin – have access to and embrace opportunities to engage in the creative process and arts experiences. Montalvo serves as an inspirational catalyst and arts leader, exemplifying Silicon Valley’s leadership in innovation and diversity. Using our extraordinary historical Villa, artist residencies and buildings, world-class gardens and grounds, outdoor sculpture, and programs in the community, Montalvo’s work and reputation for fostering creativity, presenting astonishing arts programs, and engaging Silicon Valley will expand to provide the region a greater sense of place and connection to one another, creativity and the arts.
- Creativity and the arts elevate the human spirit, unite people of diverse backgrounds, enhance our lives, and enrich our community.
- Life-changing experiences through the arts are important to our society not only because they produce an inspired, engaged and imaginative citizenry, but also because they articulate and preserve cultural heritages. Through art, we can come to common understanding among and between cultures.
- The arts are essential to developing creativity, which is core to Silicon Valley’s world leadership in innovation. Creative thinking - which includes curiosity, critical engagement, empathy, and the ability to generate innovative solutions - is key to Silicon Valley’s success and the ability of its citizenry to thrive in the 21st century.
- Creativity encompasses a broad range of creative behaviors, ranging from what has traditionally been termed ‘high art’ to more vernacular and popular art forms. It can be collaborative, and involve improvisation and social interaction, as well as private reflection and contemplation.
- The arts should have a firm footing in education, workplace and lifestyle priorities. Engagement with and participation in the arts is essential to developing our creative abilities.
- Through multi-disciplinary arts and education programming, Montalvo Arts Center provides unique opportunities for artists and diverse Silicon Valley communities to explore, develop, and enhance their creative capacities.
- Being creative is one of the most positive, life affirming experiences we can have as humans. It helps enhance overall well being and happiness, enables better problem solvers, provides educators with the tools to teach more effectively, and helps build stronger leadership across all sectors.